Diversity, Equity & Justice
The Office of Diversity, Equity and Justice (DEJ) promotes equity for all members of MIR by fostering a community that embraces and reflects diversity of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. By doing so, the DEJ aims to create a stimulus for innovation and problem solving, local community outreach, excellence in education, research and scholarship, and equity and justice in patient care.
Our aim is for MIR to become a model for diversity and inclusive excellence through progressive hiring practices, policies and cutting-edge research on health disparities relating to radiological health care. We strive to:
- Recruit, develop and retain diverse trainees, faculty and staff
- Create a diverse, supportive work environment
- Provide a culturally competent and inclusive patient healthcare experience
- Enhance accountability, collaboration and efficacy through strategic use of diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) data in planning and assessment
We understand that fostering an inclusive environment for our faculty, staff, trainees and patients requires proactive, thoughtful work. MIR is deeply committed to continuing existing efforts and implementing new initiatives that include:
- Building a robust committee and subcommittees focused on short and long-term DEI goals
- Grand rounds featuring leaders in DEI
- Mentoring of underrepresented in medicine (URiM) junior faculty
- Expansion of diverse trainee recruitment through second-look visits, summer programs for URiM students and outreach to multiple medical student associations
- Supplementing existing diversity training for faculty and staff with a recurring, in-depth program that includes implicit bias and microaggression training, utilizing both in-house and outside DEI consultants.
- Increased DEI signage displayed in MIR offices and facilities
- Close collaboration with other medical departments and DEI leadership of Washington University and the School of Medicine
- Recognition for excellence in DEI
- Town hall listening tours, providing a more intimate space for key MIR groups such as residents, junior faculty or staff to share workplace experiences
- Increased community outreach, including facilitating oncological screenings for underserved St. Louis communities and engaging URiM STEM university and K-12 students to increase interest in radiology as a career
The Executive Diversity Committee (EDC) is comprised of faculty, trainees and staff volunteers committed to promoting diversity, equity, inclusion and social justice within MIR and for those we serve. Members develop policy, participate in strategic planning and organize events to create and nurture a welcoming, inclusive environment within the department. There are also several subcommittees with specific tasks. In addition, the EDC collaborates with the School of Medicine’s leadership on key issues in an effort to expand diversity at the school and increase outreach to the local St. Louis community.
The EDC is led by Monica Shokeen, PhD, interim director of MIR’s Office of Diversity, Equity and Justice. She is an associate professor of radiology, director of the Molecular Imaging Center, and a principal investigator in the Biophotonics Research Center. Her research is focused on investigating the underlying mechanisms of disease using molecularly targeted imaging agents.
The Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion oversees Washington University School of Medicine’s efforts to promote equity for the medical school community. Programs, events and initiatives are designed to raise awareness, inspire action, support equitable employment and cultivate a culture of diversity and inclusion. Programs include: