Washington University Small-Animal MR Facility Charges (User Fees)
(East Building, 4525 Scott Avenue: 314-747-1364)
Non-Corporate-Sponsored WU-Research*: Scanner Use / Basic Image Processing
Scanner charging rates for non-corporate-sponsored research employing the Small-Animal MR Facility in the East Building fall into three tiers: 1) Prime-time scanner access; 2) Off-prime-time scanner access; 3) All-inclusive scanner service. Each of these scanner charging rates is detailed below; rates quoted are effective July 1, 2018.
- Prime-Time Scanner Access:
- The prime-time scanner access base rate is $95/scanner-hour. Prime-time is defined as 8 AM - 10 PM weekdays. This base rate (generally known as the “run your own scans” rate) applies to research groups that conduct their own MRI scanning and to Facility collaborative efforts for which the appropriate effort (salary) of Facility personnel is sourced to non-Facility accounts.
- For cancer-research-related studies, the prime-time base rate is $70/scanner-hour. This reflects a subsidy provided by the Siteman Cancer Center (SCC).
- Off-Prime-Time Scanner Access:
- The off-prime-time scanner access base rate (“run your own scans”) is $70/scanner-hour. Off-prime-time is defined as 10 PM – 8 AM weekdays and 10 PM Friday – 8 AM Monday (i.e., all weekend).
- All-Inclusive Scanner Service:
- The “full service” rate (scanner access + Facility personnel effort) is $275/scanner-hour.
- Service work by Facility staff whose salaries are not compensated directly for the project (e.g., by grant or contract salary sourcing), includes data collection and basic image processing (e.g., magnitude images, T1 and T2 maps, DTI parametric maps).
- Siteman Cancer Center and Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Research Center (IDDRC) members receive all-inclusive scanner service at Prime-Time Scanner Access rates for SCC-, IDDRC-related studies, respectively. This reflects subsidies provided by the SCC and the IDDRC.
Extended Full Service Image Processing, Report Writing, and Protocol Development
Full service image processing, report writing, and protocol development that extends beyond the basic effort covered under the standard full service rate ($275/scanner-hour) will incur an additional personnel charge to be negotiated on a project-specific basis starting at $50/hour.
Corporate Sponsored Research
Corporate users should contact us to discuss applicable rates for data acquisition, processing, and analysis.
[* Non-corporate-sponsored external (non-WU) research is billed at these same rates, but incurs an additional Dean’s administrative fee, currently (as per June 2015) 20% of the Facility charge. For example, a Facility bill of $2,000 for non-corporate-sponsored WU-research would translate to a $2,400 charge for the same non-corporate-sponsored external (non-WU) research.]