Washington University Small Animal MR Facility Charges (User Fees)
(East Building, 4525 Scott Avenue: 314-747-1364)
Non-Corporate Sponsored WU Research: Scanner Use / Basic Image Processing
Scanner charging rates for non-corporate sponsored research employing the Small Animal MR Facility in the East Building fall into three tiers: 1) Prime-time scanner access; 2) Off prime-time scanner access; 3) All-inclusive scanner service. Each of these scanner charging rates is detailed below; rates quoted are effective June 1, 2019.
- Prime-Time Scanner Access:
- The prime-time scanner access base rate is $105/scanner hour. Prime-time is defined as 8 AM - 10 PM weekdays. This base rate (generally known as the “run your own scans” rate) applies to research groups that conduct their own MRI scanning and to facility collaborative efforts for which the appropriate effort (salary) of facility personnel is sourced to non-facility accounts.
- For cancer research-related studies, the prime-time base rate is $80/scanner hour. This reflects a subsidy provided by the Siteman Cancer Center (SCC).
- For Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Research Center (IDDRC) studies, the prime-time base rate is $80/scanner hour. This reflects subsidies provided by the IDDRC.
- Off-Prime-Time Scanner Access:
- The off prime-time scanner access base rate (“run your own scans”) is $80/scanner hour. Off prime-time is defined as 10 PM – 8 AM weekdays and 10 PM Friday – 8 AM Monday (i.e., all weekend).
- All-Inclusive Scanner Service:
- The “full service” rate (scanner access + facility personnel effort) is $285/scanner hour.
- The “full service” rate (scanner access + facility personnel effort) for SCC and IDDRC studies is $260/scanner hour.
- Service work by facility staff whose salaries are not compensated directly for the project (e.g., by grant or contract salary sourcing), includes data collection and basic image processing (e.g., magnitude images, T1 and T2 maps, DTI parametric maps).
Non-Corporate Sponsored, External (Non-WU) Research
Non-corporate sponsored, external (non-WU) research is billed at these same rates, but incurs an additional Dean’s administrative fee, currently (as per June 2015) 25% of the Facility charge. For example, a facility bill of $2,000 for non-corporate sponsored WU research would translate to a $2,500 charge for the same non-corporate-sponsored external (non-WU) research.
Extended Full Service Image Processing, Report Writing, and Protocol Development
Full service image processing that extends beyond the basic effort covered under the standard full service rate ($285/scanner hour or $260/scanner hour) will incur an additional personnel charge to be negotiated on a project-specific basis starting at $60/hour.
Corporate Sponsored and Other Research
Corporate and other non-WU research users should contact us to discuss applicable rates for data acquisition, processing and analysis.
MIR Pilot Funding
MIR Pilot Funds may be available for investigators with new projects. Please contact us to discuss project feasibility, details and applicable rates prior to submission.