Washington University School of Medicine
Department of Radiology
Campus Box 8225
4525 Scott Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63110
Assistant Professor in Radiology
Dr. Akers is Assistant Professor of Radiology at Washington University School of Medicine, a faculty member of the Optical Radiology Laboratory (ORL). His prior experience as a practicing veterinarian has driven his interest in biomedical engineering and radiology in advancing understanding of molecular biology in medicine. Dr. Akers’ research focuses on preclinical testing of optical and multimodal (combined optical with MRI, nuclear imaging or ultrasound) imaging technologies, particularly molecular imaging, with the aim of translating these technologies to improve human medicine. This research includes basic and translational research directions to bring new optical imaging technologies to human medicine.
1. Sarder P, Gullicksrud K, Mondal S, Sudlow GP, Achilefu S, Akers WJ. Dynamic optical projection of acquired luminescence for aiding oncologic surgery. Journal of biomedical optics. 2013;18(12):120501.
2. Liu Y, Njuguna R, Matthews T, Akers WJ, Sudlow GP, Mondal S, Tang R, Gruev V, Achilefu S. Near-infrared fluorescence goggle system with complementary metal-oxide-semiconductor imaging sensor and see-through display. J Biomed Opt. 2013;18(10):101303. 3667841
3. Magalotti S, Gustafson TP, Cao Q, Abendschein DR, Pierce RA, Berezin MY, Akers WJ. Evaluation of Inflammatory Response to Acute Ischemia Using Near-Infrared Fluorescent Reactive Oxygen Sensors. Mol Imaging Biol. 2013. 4. Akers WJ, Edwards WB, Kim C, Xu B, Erpelding TN, Wang LV, Achilefu S. Multimodal sentinel lymph node mapping with single-photon emission computed tomography (SPECT)/computed tomography (CT) and photoacoustic tomography. Transl Res. 2012;159(3):175-81. 3286037
5. Liu Y, Akers WJ, Bauer AQ, Mondal S, Gullicksrud K, Sudlow GP, Culver JP, Achilefu S. Intraoperative detection of liver tumors aided by a fluorescence goggle system and multimodal imaging. Analyst. 2013;138(8):2254-7. 3650133
6. Solomon M, Nothdruft RE, Akers W, Edwards WB, Liang K, Xu B, Suddlow GP, Deghani H, Tai YC, Eggebrecht AT, Achilefu S, Culver JP. Multimodal Fluorescence-Mediated Tomography and SPECT/CT for Small-Animal Imaging. J Nucl Med. 2013.
7. Xu M, Rettig MP, Sudlow G, Wang B, Akers WJ, Cao D, Mutch DG, DiPersio JF, Achilefu S. Preclinical evaluation of Mab CC188 for ovarian cancer imaging. Int J Cancer. 2012;131(6):1351-9. 3339045
8. Akers WJ, Xu B, Lee H, Sudlow GP, Fields GB, Achilefu S, Edwards WB. Detection of MMP-2 and MMP-9 activity in vivo with a triple-helical peptide optical probe. Bioconjug Chem. 2012;23(3):656-63. 3310325
9. Solomon M, White BR, Nothdruft RE, Akers W, Sudlow G, Eggebrecht AT, Achilefu S, Culver JP. Video-rate fluorescence diffuse optical tomography for in vivo sentinel lymph node imaging. Biomed Opt Express. 2011;2(12):3267-77. 3233246
10. Solomon M, Guo K, Sudlow GP, Berezin MY, Edwards WB, Achilefu S, Akers WJ. Detection of enzyme activity in orthotopic murine breast cancer by fluorescence lifetime imaging using a fluorescence resonance energy transfer-based molecular probe. J Biomed Opt. 2011;16(6):066019. 3138800