Adam Q. Bauer
Washington University School of Medicine
Department of Radiology
4515 McKinley Ave, Room 2315
St. Louis, MO 63110
Ph.D., Physics, Washington University in St. Louis, Saint Louis, MO, 2009
Thesis title: “The role of Phase in Ultrasonic Measurements of Phase Aberrating Media using Piezoelectric Receivers”
M.A., Physics, Washington University in St. Louis, Saint Louis, MO, 2005
B.S., Physics, Truman State University, Kirksville, MO, 2001
I am currently an Instructor supported by an NIH K25 Career Development Award in the Department of Radiology. My research involves developing optical imaging methods and custom software algorithms for understanding network neuroscience in the healthy brain and in the setting of neurological disease. I am particularly interested in understanding how functional network connectivity in the mouse brain is affected after ischemic stroke, and if stroke recovery can be improved using the brain’s endogenous physiology. In addition to these pursuits, my colleagues and I are currently investigating how functional connectivity in the mouse brain evolves during development and aging, as well as in the context of Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes, malnutrition, and cancer.
1. Bergonzi, K.M., Bauer, A.Q., Wright, P.W., Culver, J.P., “Mapping functional connectivity using cerebral blood flow in the mouse brain”, J. Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism 35(1), 2015
2. Bauer, A.Q.*, Kraft, A.W., Wright, P.W., Lee, J-M, Culver, J.P., "Optical Imaging of disrupted functional connection following ischemic stroke in mice", NeuroImage 99, 2014. *Corresponding Author
3. Liao, F., Hori, Y., Hudry, E., Bauer, A.Q., Jiang, H., Mahan, T., Lefton, K., Zhang, T., Dearborn, J., Kim, J., Culver, J.P., Betensky, R., Wozniak, D., Hymann., B., Holtzman, D.M., "Anti-ApoE antibody given after plaque onset decreases Aβ accumulation and improves brain function in a mouse model of Aβ amyloidosis". Journal of Neuroscience 34(21), 2014
4. Musiek, E.S., Lim, M.M., Yang, G., Bauer A.Q., Qi, L., Roh, J.H., Ortiz-Gonzalez, X, Culver, J.P., Herzog, E.D., Hogenesch, J.B., Dikranian, K., Giasson, B.I., Weaver, D.R., Holtzman, D.M., FitzGerald, G.A., “Impairment of the positive limb of the core circadian clock disrupts neuronal redox homeostasis and promotes neurodegeneration”, Journal of Clinical Investigation 123(12) 2013.
5. Nasiriavanaki, M, Xia, J., Wan, H., Bauer, A.Q., Culver J.P., Wang L.V., "High-resolution photoacoustic resting-state functional connectivity imaging of the mouse brain". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 111(1), 2014.
6. Liu, Y, Akers, W.J., Bauer, A.Q., Mondal, S., Gullicksrud, K., Sudlow, G.P., Culver, J.P., Achilefu, S., Intraoperative detection of liver tumors aided by a ﬂuorescence goggle system and multimodal imaging, Analyst, 138 2013.
7. Bero, A.W.*, Bauer, A.Q.*, Stewart, F.R., White, B.R., Cirrito, J.R., Raichle, M.E., Culver, J.P., Holtzman, D.M. "Bidirectional relationship between functional connectivity and A-Beta plaque deposition in mouse brain", J Neuroscience, 32(12) 2012 *Co-First Authors, Featured Article
8. White B.R.*, Bauer A.Q.*, Snyder A.Z., Schlaggar, B.L., Lee, J-M., Culver, J.P., "Imaging of functional connectivity in the mouse brain" PLoS ONE, 6(1) 2011 *Co-First Authors
9. Liu, Y., Bauer, A.Q., Akers, W., Sudlow, G., Liang, K, Shen, D., Berezin, M., Culver, J.P., Achilefu, S., "Hands-free, Wireless Goggle for Near-infrared Fluorescence and Real-time Image-guided Surgery" Surgery 149(5), 2011
10. Bauer A.Q.*, Nothdurft R.E., Erpelding T.N., Wang L.V., Culver J.P., "Quantitative photoacoustic imaging: correcting for heterogeneous light fluence distributions using diffuse optical tomography", J Biomedical Optics, 16(9), 2011. *Corresponding Author
11. Holland, M.R., Gibson, A.A., Bauer, A.Q., Peterson, L.R., Schaffer, J.E., Bach, R.G., Cresci, S., Miller, J.G., "Echocardiographic tissue characterization demonstrates differences in the left and right sides of the ventricular septum" Ultrasound in Med. & Biol. 36 (10) 2010.
12. Anderson, C.C., Bauer, A.Q., Holland, M.R., Pakula, M., Laugier, P., Bretthorst, G.L, Miller, J.G. “Inverse problems in cancellous bone: Estimation of the ultrasonic properties of fast and slow waves using Bayesian probability theory" J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 128 (5) 2010.
13. Bauer, A.Q., Anderson, C.C., Holland, M.R., Miller, J.G. "Bone Sonometry: reducing phase aberration to improve estimates of broadband ultrasonic attenuation (BUA)” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 125 (1) 2009.
14. Bauer, A.Q., Marutyan, K. R., Holland, M.R., Miller, J.G. "Negative dispersion in bone: The role of interference in measurements of the apparent phase velocity of two temporally overlapping signals” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 123 (4) 2008.
15. Bauer, A.Q., Marutyan, K. R., Holland, M.R., and Miller, J.G. "Is the Kramers-Kronig causal relationship between ultrasonic attenuation and dispersion maintained in the presence of apparent losses due to phase cancellation?" J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 122 (1) 2007.
1. "Multimodality imaging: diffuse optical tomography and photoacoustic tomography" in Emerging Imaging Technologies for Medicine, Anastasio M.A., LaRiviere P.J., Eds., Taylor Francis/CRC Press: New York, 2012
2. "Phase velocity of cancellous bone negative dispersion arising from fast and slow waves, interference, diffraction and phase cancellation at piezoelectric receiving elements" in Bone Quantitative Ultrasound, Laugier P., Haiat G., Eds., Springer Science+Business Media B.V.: New York, 2011