Assistant Professor of Radiology / Physical Therapy
Washington University School of Medicine
Electronic Radiology Lab
Campus Box 8131
4525 Scott Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63110
My long term goal is to continue working with Principle Investigators to help them develop new, automatic, semi-automatic and innovative methods for measuring various parts of the human body. To achieve this goal, I am working with or have worked with collaborators in the Program in Physical Therapy and Computer Science Department to submit NIH grants. With Dr. Michael Mueller as PI of an R21 award, I have helped mentor a Ph.D. student to develop an innovative method for measuring the intrinsic muscle and fat in the foot along with publishing the methods. The student is awaiting the award of an F31 grant and I am helping him with the research. I assisted Dr. Mueller with resubmitting a Hammer Toe R01 grant in March where I will be a co-investigator. I am currently working on developing a diabetic foot R21 NIH grant. With Dr. Michael Mueller’s K12 award, I have been continuing to work with Dr. Mary Hastings and Dr. Jonathan Baker to acquire qualitative MR access of the diabetic foot for publication. I am working with Dr. Hastings to develop a new grant for submission.
Georgia Institute of Technology, 1982, B.S., Electrical Engineering
- Cheuy VA, Commean PK, Hastings MK, Mueller MJ. Reliability and Validity of a MR-Based Volumetric Analysis of the Intrinsic Foot Muscles. J Magn Reson Imaging. DOI: 10.1002/jmri.24069
- Commean PK, Tuttle LJ, Hastings MK, Strube MJ, Mueller MJ. Magnetic Resonance Imaging Measurement Reproducibility for Calf Muscle and Adipose Tissue Volume. J Magn Reson Imaging, 2011 Dec;34(6):1285-1294. PMCID: PMC3221819
- Commean PK, Kennedy JA, Bahow KA, Hildebolt CF, et al. Volumetric quantitative computed tomography measurement precision for volumes and densities of tarsal and metatarsal bones. J Clin Densitom 2011, Jul-Sep;14(3):313-20. PMCID: PMC3201781
- Commean PK, Mueller MJ, Smith KE et al. Reliability and validity of combined imaging and pressures assessment methods for diabetic feet. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2002 April;83(4):497-505.
- Commean PK, Ju T, Liu L, Sinacore DR, Hastings MK, Mueller MJ. Tarsal and metatarsal bone mineral density measurement using volumetric quantitative computed tomography. J Digit Imaging 2009 October;22(5):492-502. PMCID: PMC2745489
- Mueller MJ, Lott DJ, Hastings MK, Commean PK, Smith KE, Pilgram TK. Efficacy and mechanism of orthotic devices to unload metatarsal heads in people with diabetes and a history of plantar ulcers. Phys Ther 2006 June;86(6):833-842.
- Mueller MJ, Hastings M, Commean PK et al. Forefoot structural predictors of plantar pressures during walking in people with diabetes and peripheral neuropathy. J Biomech 2003 July;36(7):1009-1017.
- Mueller MJ, Smith KE, Commean PK, Robertson DD, Johnson JE. Use of computed tomography and plantar pressure measurement for management of neuropathic ulcers in patients with diabetes. Phys Ther 1999 March;79(3):296-307.
- Smith KE, Commean PK, Robertson DD, Pilgram T, Mueller MJ. Precision and accuracy of computed tomography foot measurements. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2001 July;82(7):925-929.
- Commean PK, Smith KE, Cheverud JM, Vannier MW, Precision of surface measurements for below-knee residua. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Vol. 77, No. 5, pp 477-486, May, 1996.
- Commean PK, Smith KE, Vannier MW, Lower Extremity Residual Limb Slippage Within The In Situ Prosthesis, Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Vol. 78, No. 5, pp 476-485, 1997.
- Commean PK, Brunsden BS, Smith KE, Vannier MW, Below Knee Residual Limb Shape Change Measurement and Visualization, Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Vol. 79, pp. 772-782, 1998.
- Hastings M, Commean PK, Smith KE, Pilgram T, Mueller MJ, Aligning anatomical structure from spiral x-ray computed tomography with plantar pressure data, Clinical Biomechanics, vol. 18, no. 9, pp 877-882, November 2003.
- Hastings M, Mueller MJ, Pilgram TK, Lott DJ, Commean PK, Johnson JE. Effect of metatarsal pad placement on plantar pressure in people with diabetes and peripheral neuropathy. Foot & Ankle International, vol 28, No. 1, pp 84-88, January 2007.
- Hasting MK, Gelber JR, Commean PK, Prior FW, Sinacore DR. Bone mineral density of the tarsals and metatarsals with reloading. Physical Therapy, Vol 88(6), pp 766-779, June 2008. PMCID: PMC2409979
- Smith KE, Whiting BR, Reiker GG, Commean PK, Sinacore DR, Prior FW. Assessment of technical and biological parameters of volumetric quantitative computed tomography of the foot: a phantom study. Osteoporos Int. Osteoporos Int. 2012 July;23(7): 1977-85.