David G. Politte
Assistant Professor of Radiology
Washington University School of Medicine
Electronic Radiology Lab
Campus Box 8131
4525 Scott Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63110
The common theme of my research interests is the extraction of quantitative information from measured biological and physical signals with the goal of advancing human health, safety, and welfare. Some of my projects share common mathematical or physical frameworks (dual-energy CT, dose-reduction for CT, scatter imaging for explosive detection, attenuation imaging for security applications) and others present problems in estimation theory or signal processing (glioblastoma multiforme, electroencephalography (EEG) and electrocorticography (ECoG) processing, analysis of lung nodules).
Washington University, St. Louis, 1981, B.S., Electrical Engineering
Washington University, St. Louis, 1983, M.S., Electrical Engineering
Washington University, St. Louis, 1999, D.Sc., Electrical Engineering
Selected publications (in chronological order):
- Snyder DL, Politte DG: Image reconstruction from list-mode data in an emission tomography system having time-of-flight measurements. IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, 30(3):1843-1849, June 1983.
- Snyder DL, Miller MI, Thomas Jr. LJ, Politte DG, “Noise and edge artifacts in maximum-likelihood reconstructions for emission tomography,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, 6(3):228-238, September 1987.
- Politte DG, Snyder DL: Corrections for accidental coincidences and attenuation in maximum-likelihood image reconstruction for positron-emission tomography. IEEE Trans. on Medical Imaging, 10(1):82-89, March 1991. PMID: 18222803.
- Snyder DL, O’Sullivan JA, Whiting BR, Murphy RJ, Benac J, Cataldo JA, Politte DG, Williamson JF: Deblurring subject to nonnegativity constraints when known functions are present with application to object-constrained computerized tomography. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, 20(10):1009-1017, October 2001. PMID: 11686436.
- Williamson JF, Whiting BR, Benac J, Murphy RJ, Blaine GJ, O’Sullivan JA, Politte DG, Snyder DL: Prospects for quantitative computed tomography imaging in the presence of foreign metal bodies using statistical image reconstruction. Medical Physics, vol. 29 (10) pp 2404-2418, 2002. PMID: 12408315.
- Low DA, Nystrom M, Kalinin E, Parikh P, Dempsey JF, Bradley JD, Mutic S, Wahab SH, Islam T, Christensen G, Politte DG, Whiting BR: A method for the reconstruction of four-dimensional synchronized CT scans acquired during free breathing. Medical Physics 30(6), June 2003. PMID: 12852551.
- Politte DG, Yan S, O’Sullivan JA, Snyder DL, Whiting, BR: Implementation of alternating minimization algorithms for fully 3D CT imaging. Proceedings of the SPIE-IS&T Electronic Imaging, SPIE Vol. 5674, Computational Imaging III, edited by Charles A. Bouman and Eric L. Miller, January 17-18, 2005, San Jose, CA, pp. 362-373.
- Snyder DL, O’Sullivan JA, Murphy RJ, Politte DG, Whiting BR, Williamson JF: Maximum likelihood image reconstruction for transmission tomography when projection data are incomplete. Phys. Med. Biol., 2006;51(21):5603-19. PMID: 17047273.
- Evans JD, Politte DG, Whiting BR, O’Sullivan JA, Williamson JF: Noise-resolution tradeoffs in x-ray CT imaging: a comparison of penalized alternating minimization and filtered backprojection algorithms. Med. Phys. 38(3), 1444-1458. PMID: 21520856.
- Evans JD, Whiting BR, O’Sullivan JA, Politte DG, Klahr PF, Yu Y, Williamson JF: Prospects for in vivo estimation of photon linear attenuation coefficients using post-processing dual-energy CT imaging on a commercial scanner: comparison of analytic and polyenergetic statistical reconstruction algorithms. Med. Phys., 2013.
- Evans JD, Politte DG, Whiting BR, O’Sullivan JA, Williamson JF, “Noise-resolution tradeoffs in x-ray CT imaging: a comparison of penalized alternating minimization and filtered backprojection algorithms,” Med. Phys. 38(3), 1444-1458. PMID: 21520856.
- Zempel J, Politte D, Kelsey M, Verner R, Nolan T, Babajani-Feremi A, Prior F, Larson-Prior L, “Characterization of scale-free properties of human electrocorticography in awake and slow wave sleep states,” Frontiers in Neurology, May 2012. DOI 10.3389.
- Smith K, Politte D, Reiker G, Nolan T, Hildebolt C, Mattson C, Tucker D, Prior F, Turovets S, Larson-Prior L, “Automated measurement of skull circumference, cranial index, and braincase volume from pediatric computed tomography,” Proceedings of the 35th Annual International IEEE EMBS Conference, April 2013.
- Evans JD, Whiting BR, O’Sulllivan JA, Politte DG, Klahr PF, Yu Y, Williamson JF, “Prospects for in vivo estimation of cross-sections using post-processing dual-energy CT imaging on a commercial scanner: comparison of analytic and polyenergetic statistical reconstruction algorithms,” accepted for publication in Medical Physics, June 2013.
- Evans JD, Whiting BR, Politte DG, O’Sullivan JA, Klahr PF, Williamson JF, “Experimental implementation of a polyenergetic statistical reconstruction algorithm for a commercial fan-beam CT scanner,” Physica Medica: European Journal of Medical Physics, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 500-512, September 2013.
- Kaganovsky Y, Li D, Holmgren A, Jeon H, MacCabe K, Politte D, O’Sullivan J, Carin L, Brady D, “Compressed sampling strategies for tomography,” accepted for publication in the Journal of the Optical Society of America (JOSA), summer 2014.
For an up-to-date-list of Dr. Politte's publications please see his entry on Google Scholar.