Charles F. Hildebolt
Washington University School of Medicine
Electronic Radiology Lab
Campus Box 8131
4525 Scott Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63110
Charles Hildebolt is a Professor of Radiology at Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology Washington University School of Medicine, an Adjunct Professor of Anthropology Washington University, an Adjunct Professor of Graduate Periodontics Saint Louis University, and biostatistical consultant Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine. A focus of his research has been to improve methods for assessing alveolar bone loss caused by periodontal disease and to identify risk factors for alveolar bone loss and treatments that mitigate alveolar bone loss and periodontal disease. He and his collaborators have identified geochemical substances that affect dental disease patterns and have developed methods that provide the most precise measurement of alveolar, crest-height loss that have so far been reported. Among their finds are: (1) lumbar, femoral, and oral bone mass increase in postmenopausal women receiving hormone/estrogen replacement therapy, (2) alveolar bone height and postcranial bone mineral density are negatively affected by cigarette smoking and parity, (3) patients who take vitamin D and calcium supplementation have less severe periodontal disease than do patients who take no supplementation.
For 25 years, he and his colleagues have used 3D computed tomography (CT) in studies of (1) human variation in health and disease, (2) genetic and environmental contributions to variation in baboon cranial morphology, (3) brain expansion during hominid evolution (4) the brain of Taung (Australopithicus africanus), (5) the brain of Hadar early hominid AL 162-28, (6) the heritability of brain size and surface features in rhesus macaques, (7) the brain (and other cranial features) of Homo floresiensis (the Hobbit) and demonstrated that Homo floresiensis was not a diseased modern human.
He was treasurer (2009-2014) and is a fellow of the American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology and is a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. He serves on the editorial boards of Dentomaxillofacial Radiology and Calcified Tissue International And Musculoskeletal Research, was an associate editor for Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, and Oral Radiology (2008-2014), and provides ad-hoc reviews for 14 other journals. He is a grant proposal reviewer for the NIH and 9 other foundations/agencies and is on the government affairs committee of the American Association for Dental Research. He has provided statistical support for a number of computed tomographic (CT), magnetic resonance (MR) imaging, and ultrasonography studies at the Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology.
Ohio State University, 1966, B.S., Microbiology
Ohio State University, 1970, D.D.S., Dentistry
Washington University, St. Louis, 1985, M.A., Phys. Anthropology
Washington University, St. Louis, 1987, Ph.D., Phys. Anthropology
Membership on Advisory Committees and Honors
1996-present Editorial Board, Dento-Maxillo-Facial Radiology
1997-2014 Editorial Board, Oral Surg., Oral Med., Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, and Endodontics
2008-2014 Associate Editor: Oral Surg., Oral Med., Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, and Endodontics
2000-present Editorial Board, Calcified Tissue International; Member, Dental SBIR-STTR Review Panel (NIH)
2002 Member, Comparative Medicine Site Visit/Special Emphasis Panel (NIH)
Grant Proposal Reviewer, Sheffield Hospitals Charitable Trust, The Welcome Trust
The Hospital for Sick Children Foundation, and the Canadian Institutes of Health Research
2006-present Member, Institutional Review Board of Wash. University’s Human Res. Protection Office
2006-present Reviewer, NIH/NIDCR SBIR/STTR, ZRG1 MOSS-K
ODCS study sections and Special Emphasis Panels
2004-2007 Secretary-Treasurer, Diagnostic Systems Group International Assoc. for Dental Research
2004-2009 Councilor, Educational Affairs: Executive Council Am. Acad. of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology
2008 Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
2009-2014 Treasurer American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology
2009 Fellowship American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology
Publications (selected from 205):
- Hildebolt CF, Vannier MW: Validation Study of Skull 3D-CT Measurements. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 82(3):283-294, 1990.
- Hildebolt CF: Osteoporosis and oral bone loss. Dento Maxillo Facial Radiology 26:3-15, 1997.
- Falk D. Hildebolt CF, Smith K, Morwood MJ, Sutikna T, Brown P, Jatmiko, Saptomo WE, Brunsden B, Prior F. The Brain of LB1, Homo floresiensis. Science Express, March, 2005 and Science 308:242-245, 2005.
- Falk, D., Hildebolt,C., Smith, K., Morwood, M.J., Sutikna, T., Jatmiko, Saptomo, W.E., Imhof , H., Seidler, H. & Fred Prior. Brain shape in human microcephalics and Homo floresiensis, Proceedings of the National Academy of Science of the United States of America (PNAS) 104: 2513-2518; published online before print as 10.1073/pnas.0609185104, 2007. PMID: 17311766
- Dixon D, Hildebolt CF, Miley DD, Garcia MN, Pilgram TK, Couture RA, Anderson Spearie C, and Civitelli R Calcium and vitamin D use among adults in periodontal-disease maintenance programs. British Dental Journal, 206, No 12: 627-631, discussion 617, 2009. PMID: 19557061
- Miley DD, Garcia MN, Hildebolt CF, Shannon W, Couture RA, Anderson Spearie C, Dixon D, Langenwalter EM, Mueller C, and Civitelli R (2009) Cross-sectional study of the effects of vitamin D and calcium oral supplementation on Periodontitis. Journal of Periodontology 80:1433-9, 2009. PMID: 19722793
- Hildebolt CF, Couture RA, Garcia MN, Dixon D, Miley DD, Shannon W, Mueller C, Langenwalter E, Anderson Spearie C, and Civitelli R Alveolar bone measurement precision for phosphor-plate images. Oral Surgery Oral Medicine Oral Pathology Oral Radiology & Endodontics, 108:e96-e107, 2009. PMID: 19716499
- Sati P, Cross AH, Luo J, Hildebolt CF, and Yablonskiy DA (2010) In vivo quantitative evaluation of brain tissue damage in multiple sclerosis using gradient echo plural contrast imaging technique. Neuroimage 51:1089-97. PMID: 20338247
- Roseman CC, Willmore KE, Rogers J, Hildebolt C, Sadler BE, Richtsmeier JT, and Cheverud JM (2010) Genetic and environmental contributions to variation in baboon cranial morphology. Am J Phys Anthropol 143:1-12. PMID: 20623673
- Garcia MN, Hildebolt CF, Miley DD, Dixon DA, Couture RA, Spearie CL, Langenwalter EM, Shannon WD, Deych E, Mueller C, Civitelli, R (2011) One-year effects of vitamin D and calcium supplementation on chronic periodontitis. J Periodontol 82(1):25-32. PMID: 20809866
- Linscott LL, Kessler MM, Kitchin DR, Quayle KS, Hildebolt CF, McKinstry RC, and Don S. (2013). CT for pediatric, acute, minor head trauma: clinician conformity to published guidelines. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 34(6): 1252-1256. PMID: 23221949
- Siegel MJ, Hildebolt CV, Bradley D. (2013). Effects of automated kilovoltage selection technology on contrast-enhanced pediatric CT and CT angiography. Radiology 268(2): 538-547. PMID: 23564712
- Hastings MK, Johnson, Strube MJ, Hildebolt CF, Bohnert KL, Prior FW, Sinacore DR. (2013). Progression of foot deformity in Charcot neuropathic osteoarthropathy. J Bone Joint Surg Am 95(13): 1206-1213. PMID: 23824389
- Civitelli R and Hildebolt C, Primer on the Metabolic Bone Diseases and Disorders of Mineral Metabolism, 8th Edition, Oral Manifestations of Metabolic Bone Disease, Wiley, 2013, pp 948-955.
- Sharma A, Lancaster S, Bagade S, Hildebolt C. (2014). Early Pattern of Degenerative Changes in Individual Components of Intervertebral Discs in Stressed and Non-Stressed Segments of Lumbar Spine: An In-Vivo MR Imaging Study. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2014. PMID: 24503691.
- Luo J, Yablonskiy DA, Hildebolt CF, Lancia S, Cross AH (2014). Gradient echo magnetic resonance imaging correlates with clinical measures and allows visualization of veins within multiple sclerosis lesions. Mult Scler.;20(3):349-55. PMID: 23836876.
For an up-to-date list of Dr. Hildebolt's publications please see his entry on PubMed and Google Scholar.