Pamela K. Woodard, M.D.
Sr. Vice Chair, Radiology Research Facilities
Professor of Radiology and Biomedical Engineering
Director, Center for Clinical Imaging Research (CCIR)
Head, Advanced Cardiac Imaging (CT/MR)
Director, Research Residency Program
Washington University School of Medicine
Department of Radiology
Campus Box 8225
510 S. Kingshighway Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63110
Pamela K. Woodard, M.D. is Professor of Radiology and Biomedical Engineering at the Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, Washington University, where she is also the Sr. Vice Chair and Division Director of Radiological Research Facilities. In this role she provides administrative oversight to the directors of the department’s eight research facilities. These include the pre-clinical and clinical imaging PET and MRI research facilities, the Cyclotron Facility, and the Center for High Performance Computing (CHPC). She is also Head of Cardiac MR/CT, Director of the Center for Clinical Imaging Research (CCIR) and Director of the Research Residency Program. Prior to her role as Sr. Vice Chair, she served as the Vice Chair of Clinical Translational Research. She is also Head of Cardiac MR/CT and Director of the Center for Clinical Imaging Research (CCIR).
Dr. Woodard leads her own research program and led one of the key projects on the Washington University NIH contract, Programs of Excellence in Nanotechnology (PEN) which developed a receptor-targeted radiotracer for atherosclerotic plaque imaging. She has over 160 manuscripts, federal and non-federal funding, several patents and has served on NIH study sections, including as a standing member on the study section Clinical and Integrative Cardiovascular Sciences (CICS). She currently is serving as a standing member on the NIH study section, Medical Imaging (MEDI). She has received numerous awards for her work including being named an Academy of Radiology Research Distinguished Investigator.
She is a member of many professional organizations, including the American College of Radiology (ACR), serving on the ACR commission on Research, the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA), International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM), Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging (SNMMI), American Heart Association (AHA), Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance (SCMR) and Society for Cardiac Computed Tomography (SCCT). She is past president of the North American Society for Cardiovascular Imaging (NASCI). She is a Fellow of the American College of Radiology (FACR), American Heart Association (FAHA), American College of Chest Physicians (FCCP) and North American Society for Cardiovascular Imaging (FNASCI).
B.A., Duke University, 1986
M.D., Duke University School of Medicine, 1990
Internship, Internal Medicine, 1990-1991
University of North Carolina Hospital at Chapel Hill
Residency, Diagnostic Radiology, 1991-1995
Duke University Medical Center
Fellowship, Thoracic Imaging, 1995-1996
Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology
Washington University School of Medicine
WUSM-Olin School of Business Academic Medical Leadership
Development Program, 2014
- Recipient, Charles T. Dotter Award, American Heart Association (2016)
- Top Docs, Castle Connolly Medical Limited (2015-2016)
- America’s Best Doctors, Best Doctors Incorporated (2005-2017)
- Distinguished Investigator Award, Council of Distinguished Investigators of the Academy, Academy for Radiology and Biomedical Imaging Research (2015)
- Fellow, American College of Radiology (2009)
- Fellow, American Heart Association (2001)
- Fellow, American College of Chest Physicians (1997)
- Eastman Kodak Scholar Award, Radiological Society of North America (1999)
- Melvin M. Figley Fellowship in Radiology Journalism, American Journal of Roentgenology (1997)
- Fellowship, Siemens Medical Systems and the Radiological Society of North America (1996, 1997)
- Stein PD, Fowler SE, Goodman LR, Gottschalk A, Hales CA, Hull RD, Leeper, Jr. KV, Popovich, Jr. J, Quinn DA, Sos TA, Sostman HD, Tapson VF, Wakefield TW, Weg JG, Woodard PK for the PIOPED II Investigators. Multidetector computed tomography for acute pulmonary embolism. NEJM 354:2317-2327, 2006. PMID: 17940481
- Liu Y, Abendschein D, Woodard GE, Rossin R, McCommis K, Zheng J, Welch MJ, Woodard PK. Molecular Imaging of Atherosclerotic Plaque with 64Cu-Labeled Natriuretic Peptide and Positron Emission Tomography. J Nucl Med. 51(1):85-91, 2010.
- Hoffmann U, Truong QA, Schoenfeld DA, Chou ET, Woodard PK, Nagurney JT, Pope JH, Hauser TH, White CS, Weiner SG, Kalanjian S, Mullins ME, Mikati I, Peacock WF, Zakroysky P, Hayden D, Goehler A, Lee H, Gazelle GS, Wiviott SD, Fleg JL, Udelson JE; ROMICAT-II Investigators. Coronary CT angiography versus standard evaluation in acute chest pain. NEJM.; 367(4):299-308, 2012.
- Woodard PK, Chenevert TL, Dirk Sostman H, Jablonski KA, Stein PD, Goodman LR, Londy FJ, Narra V, Hales CA, Hull RD, Tapson VF, Weg JG.Signal quality of single dose gadobenate dimeglumine pulmonary MRA examinations exceeds quality of MRA performed with double dose gadopentetate dimeglumine. Int J Cardiovasc Imaging. 28(2):295-301, 2012.
- Truong QA, Schulman-Marcus J, Zakroysky P, Chou ET, Nagurney JT, Fleg JL, Schoenfeld DA, Udelson JE, Hoffmann U, Woodard PK. “Coronary CT Angiography versus Standard Emergency Department Evaluation for Acute Chest Pain and Diabetic Patients: Is There Benefit with Early Coronary CT Angiography? Results of the Randomized Comparative Effectiveness ROMICAT II Trial.” Journal of the American Heart Association, 2016 Mar 22;5(3).
- Woodard PK, Liu Y, Pressly ED, Luehmann HP, Detering L, Sultan DE, Laforest R, McGrath AJ, Gropler RJ, Hawker CJ. Design and Modular Construction of a Polymeric Nanoparticle for Targeted Atherosclerosis Positron Emission Tomography Imaging: A Story of 25% 64Cu-CANF-Comb. Pharm Res. 2016 Oct;33(10):2400-10.
- Zayed MA, Harring SD, Abendschein DR, Vemuri C, Lu D, Detering L, Liu Y, Woodard PK. Natriuretic Peptide Receptor-C is Up-Regulated in the Intima of Advanced Carotid Artery Atherosclerosis. J Med Surg Pathol. 2016 Jul;1(3). pii: 131.
- Stillman AE, Gatsonis C, Lima JAC, Black WC, Cormack J, Gareen I, Hoffman U, Liu T, Mavromatis K, Schnall MD, Udelson JE, Woodard PK. Rationale and design of the Randomized Evaluation of patients with Stable angina Comparing Utilization of noninvasive Examinations (RESCUE) Trial. American Heart Journal, 2016: 179:19-28.
- Tang D, Yang C, Huang S, Mani V, Zheng J, Woodard PK, Robson P, Teng Z, Dweck M, Fayad ZA. Cap inflammation leads to higher plaque cap strain and lower cap stress: An MRI-PET/CT-based FSI modeling approach. Biomech. 2017; 50:121-129.
- Janjua SA, Pursnani A, Mayrhofer T, Puchner SB, Liu T, Lu MT, Maurovich-Horvat P, Woodard PK, Chou E, Fleg JL, Truong QA, Ferencik M, Hoffmann U. Statin Use Is Associated With Fewer High-Risk Plaques on Coronary CT Angiography. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2017, 10: 208-210.
- Kinch M, Woodard PK. Analysis of FDA-Approved Imaging Agents. Drug Discovery Today, 2017 2017 Jul;22(7):1077-1083.
- Bittner DO, Mayrhofer T, Bamberg F, Hallett TR, Janjua S, Addison D, Nagurney JT, Udelson JE, Lu MT, Truong QA, Woodard PK, Hollander JE, Miller C, Chang AM, Singh H, Litt H, Hoffmann U, Ferencik M. Impact of Coronary Calcification on Clinical Management in Patients With Acute Chest Pain. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2017 May;10(5): pii: e005893
- Indik JH, Gimbel JR, Abe H, Alkmim-Teixeira R, Birgersdotter-Green U, Clarke GD, Dickfeld TL, Froelich JW, Grant J, Hayes DL, Heidbuchel H, Idriss SF, Kanal E, Lampert R, Machado CE, Mandrola JM, Nazarian S, Patton KK, Rozner MA, Russo RJ, Shen WK, Shinbane JS, Teo WS, Uribe W, Verma A, Wilkoff BL, Woodard PK. 2017 HRS expert consensus statement on magnetic resonance imaging and radiation exposure in patients with cardiovascular implantable electronic devices. Heart Rhythm. 2017 Jul;14(7):e97-e153.
- Anwar S, Singh GK, Varughese J, Nguyen H, Billadello JJ, Sheybani EF, Woodard PK, Manning P, Eghtesady P. 3D Printing in Complex Congenital Heart Disease: Across a Spectrum of Age, Pathology, and Imaging Techniques. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging 2017 Aug;10(8):953-956.
- Bamberg F, Mayrhofer T, Ferencik M, Bittner DO, Hallett TR, Janjua S, Schlett CL, Nagurney JT, Udelson JE, Truong QA, Woodard PK, Hollander JE, Litt H, Hoffmann U. Age- and sex-based resource utilisation and costs in patients with acute chest pain undergoing cardiac CT angiography: pooled evidence from ROMICAT II and ACRIN-PA trials. Eur Radiol. 2017 Sep 5. [Epub ahead of print]