Robert J. Gropler
Chief of the Division of Radiological Sciences
Lab Chief, Cardiovascular Imaging Laboratory
Professor of Radiology
Washington University School of Medicine
Department of Radiology
Campus Box 8225
4525 Scott Avenue, Room 1307
St. Louis, MO 63110
My group has been involved in PET-related research of the CV system for more than 20 yrs. One major focus of our work is the development, validation and application of new quantitative tools to measure myocardial oxygen, glucose and lactate metabolism using PET radiotracers developed at Washington University. More recently these efforts have expanded to the pre-clinical and first in man evaluation of new PET radiopharmaceuticals designed to assess myocardial fatty acid metabolism and key cellular processes such as PPAR-alpha activation, oxidative stress, and inflammation. Germane to this application, I am a Co-PI on the Washington University PEN Program- HHSN268201000046C and work closely with others in developing new functionalized nanomaterials to image atherosclerosis.
B.S., Cum Laude, Chemistry, Allegheny College, Meadville, PA, 1977
M.D., University of Cincinatti College of Medicine, Cincinnatti, OH, 1981
- 1989-1994: Clinician-Scientist Awardee of the American Heart Association; Amerian College of Cardiology.
Disclosure of Financial Interest with Industry
None relevant to research.
- Herrero P, Sharp T, Dence C, Haraden BA, Gropler RJ. "Comparison of 1-11C-Glucose with 18F-Fluorodeoxyglucose for Quantifying Myocardial Glucose Utilization with Positron Emission Tomography." J Nucl Med, 2002; 43:1530-1541.
- Herrero P, Dence CS, Coggan AR, Kisrieva-Ware Z, Eisenbeis P, Gropler, RJ. "L-3-11C- Lactate As A PET Tracer of Myocardial Lactate Metabolism: A Feasibility Study." J Nucl Med, 2007; 48:2046-55.
- Coggan AR, Kisrieva-Ware Z, Dence CS, Eisenbeis P, Gropler RJ, Herrero P. "Measurement of Myocardial Fatty Acid Esterification Using [1-11C]Palmitate and PET: Comparison with Direct Measurements of Myocardial Triglyceride Synthesis." J Nucl Cardiol, 2009; 16:562-570. PMCID: PMC2841400.
- Kisrieva-Ware Z, Coggan, AR, Sharp TL, Dence CS, Gropler RJ, Herrero P. "Assessment of Myocardial Triglyceride Oxidation with PET and 11C-Palmitate." J Nucl Cardiol, 2009; 16:411-21. PMCID: PMC2854568.
- Lee H, Chen DL, Rothfuss JM, Welch MJ, Gropler RJ, Mach RH. "Synthesis and Evaluation of (18)F-Labeled PPARy Antagonists." Nucl Med Biol, 2012; 39:77-87. PMCID: PMC3248633.
- Tu Z, Li S, Sharp TL, Herrero P, Dence CS, Gropler RJ, Mach RH. "Synthesis and Evaluation of 15-(4-(2-[18F]Fluoroethoxy)phenyl)pentadecanoic Acid: A Potential PET Tracer for Studying Myocardial Fatty Acid Metabolism." Bioconjug Chem, 2010; 21:2313-1319. PMCID: PMC3061239.
- Herrero P, Laforest R, Shoghi KI, Zhou D, Ewald G, Pfeifer J, Duncavage E, Krupp K, Mach RH, Gropler RJ. "Feasibility and Dosimetry Studies for [18F] NOS as a Potential PET Radiopharmaceutical for Inducible Nitric Oxide Synthase (iNOS) in Humans." J Nucl Med, 53:994-1001.
- Solingapuram Sai KK, Kil KE, Tu Z, Chu W, Finck BN, Rothfuss JM, Shoghi KI, Welch MJ, Gropler RJ, Mach RH. "Synthesis, Radiolabeling and Initial In Vivo Evaluation of [11C] KSM-01 for Imaging PPAR-α Receptors." Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 2012; 19:6233-6236.
- Devanathan S, Nemanich ST, Kovacs A, Fettig N, Gropler RJ, Shoghi K. "Genomic and Metabolic Disposition of Non-Obese Type 2 Diabetic Rats to Increased Myocardial Fatty Acid Metabolism." PLOS ONE, 2013; 8:1-10.
- Lyons MR, Peterson LR, McGill JB, Herrero P, Coggan AR, Saeed IM, Recklein C, Schechtman KB, Gropler RJ. "Impact of Sex on the Heart’s Metabolic and Functional Responses to Diabetic Therapies." AJP, 2013; 305:H1584-H1591.