Washington University School of Medicine
Campus Box 8064
4911 Barnes-Jewish Hospital Plaza
St. Louis, MO 63110-1094
Assistant Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Assistant Professor of Radiology
Assistant Professor of Biomedical Engineering
The development of the novel electrocardiographic imaging (ECGI) technique to noninvasively study cardiac arrhythmia has been the primary research goal during my Ph.D. My invention of meshless ECGI technique has eliminated conventional ECGI’s imaging artifacts and enhanced the imaging speed by a factor of 100, which greatly facilitated the successful application of ECGI system to study the basic mechanisms of cardiac disorders. My Ph.D. research has encompassed sophisticated biomedical engineering, life science, human physiology, clinical research and patient studies. To further prepare myself for independent research in biomedical and life science, I devoted myself to the exciting magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) research with the aim to improve the poor specificity of MRI biomarkers of CNS injury. During my postdoc, I invented and validated diffusion basis spectrum imaging (DBSI) to specifically quantify axon/myelin injury, distinguishing and quantifying co-existing inflammation and/or tissue loss in neurological disorders. Through developing and applying DBSI, I have not only gained valuable experience on studying the mechanism underlying various neurodegeneration diseases, but also led and engaged in multiple successful NIH and national multiple sclerosis society grant applications as PI or co-Investigator. My current research of developing a novel hybrid noninvasive imaging system for the study of electrical maturation and microstructural changes of pregnant uterus builds logically on my prior Ph.D. and postdoc training. I will adapt and combine my expertise in ECGI and MRI/DBSI to creatively develop and validate the novel hybrid imaging system and use it to study the mechanism underlying preterm and normal term labor.
- Y. Wang, P. Sun, Q. Wang, K.Trinkaus, R. E. Schmidt, R. T. Naismith, A. Cross, S. K. Song “Noninvasive differentiation and quantification of inflammation, demyelination and axon injury in white matter of human MS using diffusion basis spectrum imaging”, Brain 2015 Feb 26. pii: awv046. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 25724201.
- X. Wang, M.F. Cusick, Y. Wang, P. Sun, J. E. Libbey, R.S. Fujinami, and S.K. Song “Diffusion basis spectrum imaging detects and distinguishes coexisting subclinical inflammation, demyelination and axonal injury in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis mice” NMR in Biomedicine 2014, 27(7): 843-8522014
- C.C. Chiang, Y. Wang (Co-first author with Dr. Chiang), P. Sun, T.H. Lin, K. Trinkaus, A.H. Cross, and S. K. Song, 2013. “Quantifying white matter tract diffusion parameters in the presence of increased extra-fiber cellularity and vasogenic edema”. NeuroImage, 2014 DOI: 10.1016/J.Neuroimage.2014.06.064.
- G.M. Sullivan, A.J. Mierzwa, N. Kijpaisalratana, H. Tang, Y. Wang, S.K. Song, R. Selwyn, and R.C. Armstrong “Oligodendrocyte Lineage and Subventricular Zone Response to Traumatic Axonal Injury in the Corpus Callosum” Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology 2013 Dec; 72(12):1106-25
- Y. Wang, Q. Wang, J.P. Haldar, F.C. Yeh, M. Xie, P. Sun, T.W. Tu, K. Trinkaus, R.S. Klein, A.H. Cross, S.K. Song “Quantification of increased cellularity during inflammatory demyelination” Brain 2011; 134(12):3590-3601
- Y. Wang, P.S. Cuculich, J. Zhang, K.A. Desouza, R. Vijayakumar, J. Chen, M.N. Faddis, B.D. Lindsay, T.W. Smith, Y. Rudy “Noninvasive Electroanatomic mapping of human ventricular Arrhythmias with electrocardiographic imaging (ECGI)” (Featured paper as Journal Cover Story) Science translational medicine 2011, doi: 10.1126/scitranslmed.3002152
- P.S. Cuculich, J. Zhang, Y. Wang, (co-first author with P.S. Cuculich, J.Zhang), K.A. Desouza, R. Vijayakumar, P.K. Woodard, and Y. Rudy “The electrophysiological cardiac ventricular substrate in patients after myocardial infarction: noninvasive characterization with electrocardiographic imaging”. J Am Coll Cardiol; 2011 58(18):1893-902
- P.S. Cuculich, Y. Wang, (co-first author with P.S. Cuculich), B.D. Lindsay, M. N. Faddis, R.B. Schuessler, R.J. Damiano, Jr, L. Li, Y. Rudy “Noninvasive Characterization of Epicardial Activation in Humans with Diverse AF Patterns” Circulation 2010; 122:1364-1372
- P.S. Cuculich, Y. Wang, B.D. Lindsay, R. Vijayakumar, Y. Rudy, “Noninvasive Real-time Mapping of an Incomplete Pulmonary Vein Isolation Using Electrocardiographic Imaging”, Heart Rhythm Journal 2010 7:1316-1317
- M.P. Latacha, N.B. Memon, P.S. Cuculich, J. Hertel, Y. Wang, Y. Rudy, T.W. Smith, “Pathologic Examination after Epicardial Ablation of Ventricular Tachycardia in Cardiac Sarcoidosis”, Heart Rhythm Journal, doi: 10.1016/j.hrthm.2009.12.019
- Y. Wang, Y. Rudy “Electrocardiographic Imaging (ECGI) of Normal Human Atrial Repolarization”, Heart Rhythm Journal 2009; 6:582-583.
- Y. Wang, L. Li, P.S. Cuculich, Y. Rudy, "Electrocardiographic Imaging of Ventricular Bigeminy in a Human Subject", Circulation: Arrhythmia and Electrophysiology, 2008; 1: 74-75
- Y. Wang, R.B. Schuessler, R.J. Damiano, P.K. Woodard, Y. Rudy, “Noninvasive Electrocardiographic Imaging (ECGI) of Scar-Related Atypical Atrial Flutter”, Heart Rhythm Journal 2007; 12:1565-1567
- Y. Wang, P.S. Cuculich, P.K. Woodard, B.D. Lindsay, Y. Rudy, “Focal Atrial Tachycardia after Pulmonary Vein Isolation: Noninvasive Mapping with Electrocardiographic Imaging (ECGI)”, Heart Rhythm Journal 2007; 4:1081-1084.
- Y. Wang, Y. Rudy, "Application of the Method of Fundamental Solutions to Potential-based Inverse Electrocardiography". Ann Biomed Eng, 34: 1272-1288, 2006 (Featured paper as Journal Cover Story)
- Y. Wang, X. Mou, H. Yu, Y. Cai, “Elasticity model of vessel cross-section and its application in reconstruction”, Journal of Xi’an Jiaotong University, 36(6):635-638, 2002.
Click Here for Additional Biographical Information.