A Proud Tradition
Combining innovative research and human expertise, Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology focuses its vision on the body’s interior. The medical insight gained provides information often essential in diagnosing and treating ailments as routine as a simple fracture and as life threatening as a malignant tumor.
We owe it all to gallbladder research: Washington University School of Medicine’s radiology service was established in 1910, just 15 years after Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen’s discovery of the X ray. That earliest laboratory evolved from a two-room facility as primary investigations into cholecystography expanded. Researchers, working with a local chemical company, developed and tested approximately 90 compounds — 13 of which demonstrated the ability to concentrate in the gallbladder. That successful research led to the
nation’s first visualization of a human gallbladder in February 1924, and later to the establishment of cholecystography as an accepted clinical procedure. That early achievement prompted the creation of a radiology department in 1925 and encouraged funding for an institute by Edward Mallinckrodt, Sr., a well-known philanthropist. The cornerstone was laid in 1930, and Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology was in operation by 1931 with a staff of four radiologists and a physicist. Resident training began in 1933.
Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology has it all: experience, compassionate care, and state-of-the-art digital technology. Mallinckrodt has been providing clinical diagnostic radiology services for more than 75 years. Our expert radiologists, working with skilled nurses and technologists, perform and interpret more than 700,000 examinations and procedures annually.
Mallinckrodt has a highly productive, extensive collaborative research program based on modern scientific disciplines. Our investigators are known for the advancement of imaging technology as well as for innovative methods for the interpretation of radiological images. The Division of Radiological Sciences is a multidisciplinary group involved in Mallinckrodt’s research and teaching programs, as well as its service functions.
Washington University Medical Center
Spread over 12 city blocks (approximately 230 acres), the medical center is home to a number of highly regarded facilities, including:
Washington University School of Medicine
- Barnes-Jewish Hospital
- St. Louis Children’s Hospital
- Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology
- Center for Advanced Medicine
- Alvin J. Siteman Cancer Center
- Charles F. Knight Emergency and Trauma Center
- Central Institute for the Deaf
Washington University School of Medicine is one of the leading medical research, teaching, and patient-care institutions in the nation. Preeminent within the medical school’s 12 graduate, teaching, and research programs and 20 departments is Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology. The full-time and volunteer School of Medicine faculty physicians are the medical staff of Barnes-Jewish and St. Louis Children’s hospitals. Through its affiliation with these hospitals, the School of Medicine is linked to BJC HealthCare.
The School of Medicine boasts one of the nation’s finest faculties:
- 17 Nobel laureates associated with the School of Medicine
- 14 faculty members among fellows of the prestigious National Academy of Sciences (NAS), including two Mallinckrodt Institute faculty
- 26 members of NAS Institute of Medicine
- 100 faculty with individual career development awards from National Institutes of Health
- Clinical faculty consistently included in listings of the nation’s best doctors
A recipient of the National Quality Care Award, BJC HealthCare was one of the first systems in the United States to link an academic medical center with a network of urban, suburban, and rural healthcare facilities.
Barnes-Jewish Hospital (BJH) is a premier tertiary referral facility fully accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations. BJH consistently ranks among the nation’s top 10 hospitals, is the largest teaching hospital in Missouri, is one of the world’s largest lung transplant centers, and is home to 14 specialties ranked among the best nationally.
St. Louis Children’s Hospital (SLCH) is one of two regional pediatric hospitals in St. Louis, the oldest pediatric hospital west of the Mississippi, and the seventh oldest pediatric hospital in the United States. SLCH is a 250-bed teaching hospital, provides a full range of health care services for children from infancy through adolescence, and is consistently recognized as one of the nation’s best pediatric hospitals.
Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital (BJWCH), a 113-bed facility in the western suburbs of St. Louis, is a skilled nursing facility with a full-service, 24-hour Emergency Department. Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology provides diagnostic radiology and nuclear medicine services at this facility.
Barnes-Jewish St. Peters Hospital (BJSPH), is a 111-bed, acute-care hospital serving the largely urban Missouri counties of St. Charles, Lincoln, and Warren — all within a one-hour drive of St. Louis. Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology provides diagnostic radiology and nuclear medicine services at this facility.
Progress West Hospital in O'Fallon, Missouri, opened in 2007 as a full-service hospital serving St. Charles County and environs. A broad range of radiology services, including interventional radiology, are available at this location.
Washington University Orthopedics and Barnes-Jewish Hospital Outpatient Orthopedic Center, located in West St. Louis County, incorporates the latest solutions for reducing costs, improving quality, and limiting waste, such as a new scheduling process that coordinates office visits with radiologic assessment. It includes centrally located diagnostic radiology, including arthrography and magnetic resonance imaging, as well as imaging interpretation performed by Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology musculoskeletal radiologists.
A collaborative effort of Washington University School of Medicine and Barnes-Jewish Hospital, the Center for Advanced Medicine offers convenient outpatient diagnostics and procedures. Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology provides outpatient radiology services (including interventional radiology, breast imaging, musculoskeletal, computed tomography, magnetic resonance imaging, and positron emission tomography) at this location.
The Alvin J. Siteman Cancer Center is world renowned for its basic science and translational research. It is the only cancer facility in Missouri (and within a 240-mile radius of St. Louis) to earn the National Cancer Institute’s prestigious Comprehensive Cancer Center designation and membership in the National Comprehensive Cancer Network.
Opened in 2002, the Charles F. Knight Emergency and Trauma Center is the busiest trauma program in Missouri, with more than 12,000 patients annually, and is the only American College of Surgeons-verified Level I trauma center in Missouri, Arkansas, and southern Illinois. The 52,000-square-foot, 61-bed facility houses the emergency services on the ground floor with surgical suites, radiology, and laboratories on upper floors.
Central Institute for the Deaf (CID) is a two-time recipient of the U.S. Department of Education’s National Award for Excellence and is fully accredited by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education and the Illinois State Board of Education.